As a poultry farmer, you might need to invest in your farm and adapt to market changes. The Poultry and Egg On-Farm Investment Program (PEFIP) helps you do this. It supports on-farm investments in:
- increasing efficiency or productivity
- improving on-farm food safety and biosecurity
- improving environmental sustainability
- responding to consumer preferences (improving animal welfare, adopting alternative housing systems, transitioning to organic production, etc.)
PEFIP has nearly $647 million over 10 years available for chicken, turkey, and egg producers. Applicants can claim funds if their activities started on or after March 19th, 2019. If you're an individual and/or legal entity and you had quota on January 1, 2021, you can apply for this program.
To apply for funding, you must first register for the program to determine your maximum funding amount. Funding amounts are based on the producer’s share of quota in their respective sector/province as of January 1, 2021. Once you know your maximum funding amount and you are ready to apply, you will have to submit your eligible activities and their cost. The program can reimburse a producer up to 70% of their eligible costs, or up to 85% of eligible project costs for Young Producer(s) ( 35 years old or younger on January 1, 2021).
This guide will:
- help you determine if you may be eligible for funding from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) under the Poultry and Egg On-Farm Investment Program (PEFIP)
- provide instructions and explanations to assist you in registering with the program and completing a project application